Today, most of us do not have enough time to do all the home work like repairs and fittings that keeps cropping up time and again. A faulty connection at your home or a broken garden light can be dangerous to handle by yourself, or maybe some home repair tasks that may not be possible to repair all by yourself. Hence, it is better to hire a professional home contractor to take care of the job as he is the best person to take the right decisions and line up the employees to get the job done on time.
But it is not necessary all the contractors are equally proficient and skilled. Some may be qualified to handle multiple tasks while others may be trained in specialized areas. No matter what type of work you want to be done, it is necessary to hire the contractor who is dependable and understands what the job requires. To enable the home repair job go smoothly, it is best to hire a good contractor for which you need to consider these dos and don’ts of hiring a home contractor.
- Get referrals and recommendations by talking to your family, friends and colleagues.
- Check online for any grievances or complaint against the contractor you plan to choose.
- Select around 4 contractors and get estimate from each for the same type of home repair tasks.
- Check if the contractor has a valid license and other essential registration essential for the state.
- Check if the sub-contractors working with him hold a valid license and insurance.
- Contact their suppliers to know if the bills are paid on time by the contractor.
- Make sure you have a written contract with them which states the quality of material used, schedules, names of the sub contractors, warranties, total expenses and payment schedule.
- Unless you are completely satisfied with the work, never pay the final amount in advance. Make sure other workers get their payment.
- Pay the entire amount beforehand.
- Making a quick decision by coming under any sort of pressure.
- Work with a contractor who will give you discounts if you get him another customer for his service.
- Hire the home contractor who is not in direct contact with you over the phone.
- Be happy with an remarkably long guarantee about their work.
Also ensure that the home contractor you choose can get the repairing devices and equipment by himself. At times he might need a good transportation service to carry the required equipment to you home for the repairing job. Or at times, he might have to carry the faulty pieces to his workshop to do the repairs, for which he should have contact with reliable transportation service. So choose the contractor wisely keeping in mind all the aforementioned factors.